Hey ladies (& gentlemen)! I thought I would share this fun baking project, because when I went to find cupcake ideas for my boyfriend's 21st, I could not find anything that I really liked. I ended up improvising and combining ideas that I could find on pinterest to make these chocolate pale ale cupcakes with a beer cream cheese frosting and jell-o shots on top!
Chocolate Pale Ale Cake
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Pale Ale (save the rest for the frosting or drinking)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (diced)
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Unsweet Cocoa Powder
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Whisk together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract in a medium size bowl.
- Begin heating the beer in a large saucepan over medium heat, then slowly add in the butter while continually stirring.
- Once the butter is completely melted, stir in the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Combine the two mixtures from steps 2 and 4, then whisk together.
- Add in the flour and baking soda.
- Pour the mixture into lined cupcake pans, then bake for 14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Beer Infused Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (1 Package)
- 1 lb Powdered Sugar (1 Bag)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Beer
- Green Food Coloring (optional)
- In a kitchenaid (mixer), beat together the cream cheese, vanilla, and beer.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, and continue mixing.
- Once it is to the desired consistency, add in the food coloring (if desired).
- Chill the frosting in the refrigerator before frosting cupcakes. This isn't required, but I have found that it makes frosting the cupcakes much easier. I like to place my frosting in a ziplock bag in the fridge, then to frost, I just snip off the corner of the bag and begin piping!
The Jell-O Shots:
- 1 Small Box Lemon Jell-O (makes 4 servings)
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Cup Cold Vodka (or 1 cup total of Vodka and Water, depending on how strong you like them)
- 20 Red Solo Cup Shot Glasses (I got 20 for $1 at the local dollar tree)
- Boil 1 cup of water, then stir in the Jell-O mix.
- Allow the mix to cool to room temperature (if you don't wait for it to cool, the alcohol added in the next step can get boiled off).
- While the Jell-O mixture is cooling, put the cup of vodka (or water and vodka mix) into the freezer. This will help the Jell-O shots to set faster, and the alcohol will not freeze.
- Combine the cooled Jell-O mixture and the cold vodka, then pour into the shot glasses.
- Allow the shots to set for about 3 hours or more.
- Enjoy responsibly!
What You'll Need:
- 20-25 Frosted Cupcakes
- 20 Lemon Jell-O Shots
- Ping Pong Balls (alternatively, you could make these out of white fondant, but they were 6 for $1 at the dollar store)
- 1 Piece of Cardboard or White Poster Board
- 1 Green Poster or Construction Paper
- To make the board that looks like a ping pong table, I simply used 1 part of a 3 fold presentation board. I found a green poster at the dollar store, so I cut it in half and wrapped it around the cardboard...super easy!
- Since I made 20 Jell-O shots (lemon to look like beer), I arranged the beer pong pyramids with 4 on the bottom, then 3, then 2, then 1. I used the extra cupcakes for the 21 and ping pong balls.