Sunday, August 23, 2015

Beer Pong Cupcakes


Hey ladies (& gentlemen)!  I thought I would share this fun baking project, because when I went to find cupcake ideas for my boyfriend's 21st, I could not find anything that I really liked.  I ended up improvising and combining ideas that I could find on pinterest to make these chocolate pale ale cupcakes with a beer cream cheese frosting and jell-o shots on top!  
Happy baking!

The Cupcakes:

Chocolate Pale Ale Cake

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Cup Pale Ale (save the rest for the frosting or drinking)
  • 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (diced)
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 3/4 Cup Unsweet Cocoa Powder
  • 2 Cups Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Soda

Preparation:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
  2. Whisk together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract in a medium size bowl.
  3. Begin heating the beer in a large saucepan over medium heat, then slowly add in the butter while continually stirring.
  4. Once the butter is completely melted, stir in the cocoa powder and sugar.
  5. Combine the two mixtures from steps 2 and 4, then whisk together.
  6. Add in the flour and baking soda.
  7. Pour the mixture into lined cupcake pans, then bake for 14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

The Frosting:

Beer Infused Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz Cream Cheese (1 Package)
  • 1 lb Powdered Sugar (1 Bag)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 Cup Beer
  • Green Food Coloring (optional)

Preparation:

  1. In a kitchenaid (mixer), beat together the cream cheese, vanilla, and beer.
  2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, and continue mixing.
  3. Once it is to the desired consistency, add in the food coloring (if desired).
  4. Chill the frosting in the refrigerator before frosting cupcakes.  This isn't required, but I have found that it makes frosting the cupcakes much easier.  I like to place my frosting in a ziplock bag in the fridge, then to frost, I just snip off the corner of the bag and begin piping!

The Jell-O Shots:

Ingredients:

  • 1 Small Box Lemon Jell-O (makes 4 servings)
  • 1 Cup Boiling Water
  • 1 Cup Cold Vodka (or 1 cup total of Vodka and Water, depending on how strong you like them)
  • 20 Red Solo Cup Shot Glasses (I got 20 for $1 at the local dollar tree)

Preparation:

  1. Boil 1 cup of water, then stir in the Jell-O mix.
  2. Allow the mix to cool to room temperature (if you don't wait for it to cool, the alcohol added in the next step can get boiled off).
  3. While the Jell-O mixture is cooling, put the cup of vodka (or water and vodka mix) into the freezer.  This will help the Jell-O shots to set faster, and the alcohol will not freeze.
  4. Combine the cooled Jell-O mixture and the cold vodka, then pour into the shot glasses.
  5. Allow the shots to set for about 3 hours or more.
  6. Enjoy responsibly!

Assembly:

What You'll Need:

  • 20-25 Frosted Cupcakes
  • 20 Lemon Jell-O Shots
  • Ping Pong Balls (alternatively, you could make these out of white fondant, but they were 6 for $1 at the dollar store)
  • 1 Piece of Cardboard or White Poster Board
  • 1 Green Poster or Construction Paper

  1. To make the board that looks like a ping pong table, I simply used 1 part of a 3 fold presentation board.  I found a green poster at the dollar store, so I cut it in half and wrapped it around the cardboard...super easy!
  2. Since I made 20 Jell-O shots (lemon to look like beer), I arranged the beer pong pyramids with 4 on the bottom, then 3, then 2, then 1.  I used the extra cupcakes for the 21 and ping pong balls.


No comments:

Post a Comment